Monday, May 22, 2006

A Spinning Weekend!

On Saturday, I got just the inspiration I needed to get me spinning again. The Pines Farm in Maple Valley had their Spring Fling with workshops for color blending, dyeing, laminated scarves, and sheep shearing. My friend Monika and I spent the morning in the color blending class - picking out our favorite colors among the pre-dyed sheep locks, mixing them up and sending them through the enormous picking machine, and then the equally enormous carder. We all took turns sitting at the end of the carder and feeding the ready-to-spin roving into a huge plastic bag. It was so fun to see what colors everyone picked and how well they blended together! Mine was a combo of purples, blues, and greens. Here's my one and a half pounds of blended wool:

Don't ya just want to jump in and roll around in it? Up in the corner there you can see the other bag of fiery red and orange that I bought in their little shop.

After the class, we had a delicious lunch including cheeses made by Black Sheep Creamery. Mmmmm.... cheeeese. And then, we sat around and spun for awhile before the next classes began. Monika and I had to leave after the spinning because our men folk weren't willing to wait all day for us. Of course, when I got home what do you think I did? I spun some more!

Sorry, that pic's a bit fuzzy... Speaking of fuzzy pictures, I can't seem to get a decent one of the beautiful ring that Phil bought me for Mother's Day. Here's the best I've been able to get:I just can't get the camera to focus on the ring - instead it focuses on my chubby sausage fingers and my chewed-off nails. I'm taking some tips from Laura though on how to avoid the nail-biting habit, so I can show off how wonderful my husband is without too much embarrassment. It's a new wedding ring in white gold to replace my yellow gold ring that's unfortunately been irritating my skin - I've got metal allergies that seem to bother me more when I'm pregnant. The stone is my favorite - tanzanite, and it has tiny little diamonds set in on either side. Isn't he a sweetie? I am sooo spoiled. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun...I wish I'd known about it! I would have much rather gone to play with sheep than go shopping.

Unknown said...

Gretchen's Wool Mill in Monroe is having their first Open House this Saturday from 12-4pm. The address is 28014 120th St SE and the number is 360-793-0962 if you want to find out more. It sounds like it will be a blast. They're going to have live music, free food (Black Sheep Creamery will be there also,) and a spin in. I plan to attend this for short while since it is much closer to my house and I want to see their roving and batts for sale. I keep finding out about this stuff through the Valley Spinner's Guild - they meet every third Tuesday of the month in Snohomish.

Keli said...

I was going to go but my daughter had her formal sat. night....im so jealous!!!

Molly said...

Lovely ring and yarn dahling.