The first ply usually flies, and the 2nd ply I enjoy the feel of the fiber more because I take my time, then the 3rd ply seems to take for-ev-er. I get a bit tired of the same colorway. I start getting distracted by other projects...
Last week I got my Ashford back from Tara. I've been teaching spinning lessons at my house and I let her take it home for practice. Spinning on it again was like visiting with a wonderful old friend. I oiled her and replaced an E-clip. I fixed that clacking noise. That 3rd ply kept staring at me though, so I spun a quick single of Wensleydale to take the edge off...Then as if it was enchanted by some replenishing charm, the fiber for the 3rd ply refuses to get smaller. I spin for hours and I seem to have the same amount of roving. I tell myself I will not do 3-ply again... Well, at least not for a very long while. But eventually I do finish the yarn and wind it all up into a skein and...

... it comes into focus as a stunning, shimmering 491 yds of fingering weight, heavenly soft Superwash Merino. Perfect for socks... Strong, yet fine. Durable, yet dainty. And I think oh yeah, this is why I put in all that time and effort!

I even had a little leftover which I chain-plied and got an additional 106 yds that I might use to reinforce the heels and toes of the socks. But first, this one's got to be entered in the Fair. It's just too lovely to use up right away... and besides I think I've got more singles to spin.


No comments:
Post a Comment