You know it's summer when you've spent all day outside, realize it's 7pm already, and end up preparing hard-boiled eggs and watermelon for dinner. (Hey, I made grilled salmon, oven baked potatoes, and spinach salad yesterday... give me a break!) Phil built us these amazing raised garden beds this year...

Those plants in the background belong to our neighbors, and you can see by the posts that a short fence is the next project on the agenda. I did my first set of planting today - and yes, those are string grids because I'm using the Square Foot Gardening method. I did this at my last house and liked it - plants usually don't survive under my care, so it's nice to have a little handbook to tell me what to do. Here's what the lower garden looked like after transplanting the tomatoes from the planter on my front porch...





(Yes, I labeled everything too... I am my father's child!) I found those cool spiral supports at Lowes and I stretched some netting between the arched ones for further support. The back row is where I planted snap peas, the tomatoes, cucumber, and squash. Nathan helped me plant some rainbow carrots, broccoli, lettuce, bush beans, rhubarb, and radishes. I also planted marigolds and nasturtiums because the book told me to. (Shrugs shoulders - I don't know... To add color? Pest control? Whatever... I really have no idea what I'm doing.)
On the upper garden bed I planted pumpkins, zucchini, corn, and sunflowers. Our neighbors are giving us some strawberries for that front row and over the next few weeks I'll stagger plantings so hopefully (fingers crossed) things will continue to grow into the Fall. We'll see.
Evelyn helped spritz the newly planted areas with water, but mostly she was too busy inside petting the watermelon. She was so adorable laying her head on it and sighing about how much she loved watermelons that I had to take a couple of pics...


See why we ended up having some for dinner? So, let's see... Aside from working on the garden, things have been very busy around here anyway... Phil's dad is in town for the next couple of weeks... I've been trading art lessons for piano lessons for the kids... And I've been trying to figure out what in the world is wrong with my washing machine... Nevertheless, I did manage to finish these socks.

And begin a new shawl. It's the Red Dragon Shawl designed by my friend Tuulia, knit in my own handspun!

No, I haven't finished the other one... Why do you ask?


3 comments:
Oh, those shots of Evelyn are so cute! Who else but her would give a watermelon a big hug? Nice job on the garden. It doesn't really matter if you know what you're doing as long as you've labeled everything correctly-I'm proud!
Dad
Katie- Logan checked a book out at the library called watermelon day. He loved it. It's a story about a girl who plants a watermelon seed and every day she asks if it is a watermelon day. She has to wait the entire summer for her watermelon day to come. I think we read that book about 12 times a day for three weeks. Evelyn looks like she is enjoying her watermelon day.
Awww... That sounds like a great book! We'll look for it next time we go to the library.
Post a Comment