
I believe I am the 3rd owner of this wheel as it was made in 2007 and my friend, Jimin just bought it refurbished last week. She has an old wrist injury that acted up while using it and she decided she needed a wheel with a higher orifice. I had told Jimin at the Guild meeting that if she decided it wasn't for her, that she should most definitely sell it to me because I didn't mind at all that it was a refurb. (All of us who have been on the waiting list for months were just seething with envy when she showed up with one!) Since she lives just down the street from me, she brought it over on Sunday and I couldn't be more thrilled. This Pocket is beautifully carved and looks like something you'd find on an old ship - sometimes it even utters a bit of a creak. It treadles smoothly, yet has a rough look to it at the same time. I've got it in mind to give it a good pirate name - not that I'm in the habit of giving names to inanimate objects, but because it just seems fitting... and well, now that I have two wheels I'm beginning to realize they have very different personalities. Perhaps this one should be called something like Pocket Pete, the Dread Pocket Roberts, or Murray the Pirate Wheel. My Ashford Traveller (Charlotte?) is not amused. I've only had it 2 days and I've already spun 5 skeins of yarn. The bobbin in the above pic is holding a beautiful Allspunup BFL fat single that is at this very moment sitting in a bowl of hot water. It turned out to be 145 yards and I love that all 4 oz fit onto one bobbin! Here's a close-up:

Last week I spun these two Superwash Merino fibers (also dyed by Kristin) together...


and got 810 yards of this...

Wow, I'm glad I took the risk - I wasn't sure how well these two would go together, but it's gorgeous and I have enough of it to make the Revontuli (Northern Lights) shawl!
And now, to be totally random... I've got to show you some photos I took of Jamie the morning before "Crazy Hair Day" at school.



What a character!


6 comments:
Wow, you are going to town on Pocket Pete! You are going to have to give Charlotte a bit more attention to compensate. Love the allspunup fibers!! Wow, wow, wow.
I love the name Murray! Although, Pocket Pete would also be very good!
And I understand you and Charlotte. My damn Sylvie's been giving me a hard time ever since the Wee One came into my house. The Ashfords, they're the queens. They demand respect. And if you don't give it... they can be downright bitchy! :D
Love the pics of fiber! And the kid pics - he's really funny :))
That looks so neat! I'd love to try it out sometime. So, have you given up your spot on the waiting list, then? :-).
Again, your handspun is gorgeous.
I've got these purple batts to card, I'd love to give you one and see what you think of it if you wouldn't mind spinning up a little test batt. La
It must be the Dreaded Pocket Robert (I believe that has a better rhythm than just Dread Pocket Robert. 2 bats per word, don't ya know.) Lovely yarn too. Someday I'm going to learn how to spin.
Love the spinning (as usual) and definatley loved the fibers shown. I dropped in over at Allspunup and bought two braids of BFL to try. I'm on a mission to try out different fibers and this year can only purchase something if it's a fiber I don't already own so this was perfect! I can't wait for them to show up so I can dig in! I'm glad you're enjoying your new wheel.
How is it possible your kids get cuter every time I see 'em? Seriously, they have to hit a cuteness wall at some point, right? Like the Law of Diminishing Cuteness or something? What am I saying. Their mother never stopped being cute. I think they might have to live this way forever. Poor little blighters... ;)
Post a Comment