Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Winter Lecture

So yesterday, as I was bundling Nathan up to go out to the bus stop I stressed the importance of taking good care of his handknits while at school. I've been hesitant about sending them at all, but it really would be cruel to deny my child wool in this weather and thought it might be helpful to quiz him.

"Ok, so where do you put your mittens, scarf, and hat when you get into the classroom?"
Nathan looked at me solemnly and replied, "In my backpack."
I nodded, "Good. And where do they go when you go outside?"
Nathan smiled, "On my head, and my hands, and around my neck." 
I zipped up his jacket and pointed toward his boots, "Mmm-hmmm. It's really very important that you don't leave them anywhere. Mommy spent a long time knitting them for you and they are special. Plus, you need them to keep warm, right?"
Nathan slung his backpack over his shoulders, "Yep!"
I kissed him on the cheek and told him to have a good day at school. 

Later when he rushed inside after the short day, I looked him over. He was wearing only the scarf. I held my breath...
"Mom! Mom!" he said excitedly as he kicked off his boots. "Look, I remembered to put my gloves in my backpack!" (Breath let out again as he produced the pair of handspun mittens...)
"Um, Nathan, that's really great but where's your hat?"
A furrow appeared between his eyebrows as he thought, "Maybe I left it on the bus?" 

I spoke to the bus driver and emailed the teacher this morning. No sign of the hat. There's a snowstorm predicted tomorrow and I want to cry.

6 comments:

Kerri Butler said...

Oh no, the toils of being a mommy :(

Pamelamama said...

You're sweeter than I am. I have devolved into making actual threats of physical harm should the hat be lost. Useless, anyhow, but what can I say. I feel your pain.

Unknown said...

I should mention here, that he did come home the next day with the hat on... Apparently there had been a more thorough search on the bus and it was found! I am so relieved that I don't have to knit him a new hat with a grumpy disposition. Putting bad juju into your knits is never a good thing. Handmade items should be made with love, don't you think?

Charisa said...

When my son was 6 I sent him to school with a hand printed, hand made jacket that I had designed. I thought "that's what it's for, right? to keep him warm?" It never made it home, and thereafter, all jackets were from Mervyn's. Special garments were for special occasions....

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that anything you consider that important should be taken better care of by YOU THE MOTHER. Buy a cap tether and make mitten strings. Give the kid some help.

Unknown said...

Right... And cause a possible strangling hazard? I think not. No object is worth risking my child's safety, not even a pair of lovingly-made handspun mittens. Besides, he needs to learn some responsibility, and mitten strings will do no good at all if he forgets his coat which he has done several times.