Yesterday we had our little friend from church, Georgia, over to play. She still takes naps and when she woke up that afternoon I noticed that part of her cute Old Navy sweater had come undone... By that I mean that a hole had somehow worn through and she had found the right string to pull, pulled it and had unraveled part of the button band. At first, I thought "Oh, that's really too bad!" but then I realized that this sweater was made with yarn... It was knit. Dudes, I could fix this.
You know how in the old days women used to have baskets of "mending work" to be done. Well, yesterday afternoon I sat on the couch and mended Georgia's sweater.
Here's what the hole looked like before I started:
You know how in the old days women used to have baskets of "mending work" to be done. Well, yesterday afternoon I sat on the couch and mended Georgia's sweater.
Here's what the hole looked like before I started:
The stitches on the button band were live, so I had to find a needle fast and pick up the ones that had laddered down before they unraveled some more... I found some Size 4 dpns laying around, found a comfy spot with some good light, and went to work.
(Georgia was fascinated... for about 5 minutes, which is quite a bit of time for a 3 year old. Then she ran off to play with the boys.) Next I checked the label... hmmm, original yarn was 60% cotton/40% acrylic. Wouldn't you know that I had just bought some Cotton-Ease in a close enough color. I decided the best thing to do to keep this from happening again would be to knit another row and bind off with the new yarn, using the old yarn that had unraveled to seam it (thus hiding the color change.) Here's what it looked like before seaming...

Not too shabby... Ah, but wait... Here's the pic after I seamed it:
There, better than new... with some self gratification and one happy kid to make it worth the time. Yeah, I was pretty pleased with myself.
Isn't she adorable?


1 comment:
Kudos! It's awesome to feel like you can tackle a project big or small all by yourself. Like, hey, we're adults now! Keep up the blogging, I check in from time to time to catch up!
Post a Comment