I don't know why, but for some reason I haven't got that New Year's zing yet - You know, that quick burst of energy that sort of fires you out of a cannon when the countdown is done and everyone pops the
champagne and throws the party streamers? I keep waiting for it to happen, but I'm still not really jazzed about starting fresh and writing new goals (usually I have some lists of ideas written well before the end of December,) with that hit-the-ground-running attitude. I mean, don't get me wrong... It's not like I'm staying in my pajamas all day and avoiding housework or anything... although we did do that for a week after all the relatives left. The Christmas decorations are put away, I've kept up with the laundry, and my house is somewhat tidy. I worked out at the YMCA this week and have been driving the kids to school. I've even been quite productive over the last few weeks as far as knitting goes. I just haven't been able to focus my mind on what I'd like to accomplish or get motivated about anything specific yet. Maybe I'm just easing into things this year. After Christmas, I made the keyhole scarf for my man:

And Wool-Ease hats and scarves for the boys:

Those hats are modified from a couple of patterns in
Hip Knit Hats - they are knit top-down using an unusual cast-on method that eliminates having a hole to sew up, and I thought they had an interesting shape too. I'm glad Nathan and Jamie like wearing them! I also finished my
Linie Solo Ruffle scarf, but I don't really have a good picture of that yet. What I do have a picture of is a purse I've had the yarn for since the early days of Village Yarn & Tea...

I bought the yarn and the pattern because I loved the shape of the store model (and the needle-felting that was on it too.) Before I felt this one though, I've got to rip some of it back and re-do part of the handles... The pattern was pretty boring - loads of garter stitch with some increases thrown in here and there so you couldn't just knit and pay attention to something else... Unfortunately, I
did pay attention to something else and therefore missed a few things in the directions and did the cast-off before I was really finished. Oops. Happens to the best of us, right? Hope so. (I'm sure Tandy is laughing as she reads this because
before I made that mistake, I only knit half of the second side of the purse, bound it off, and started seaming the bottom of the bag before I realized something was amiss... thankfully I was at our late night knitting group so I could hand it to my dear friend and say "What the heck is going on here?") I'll be very thankful when this purse is off the needles for real.
I also started something else I've had the yarn for what seems like
for-ev-er:

Can anyone guess what it is? I'll give you a clue although I'm sure most of you won't need it... Seems like most knitters I know have knit this pattern more than once already. I'm using Lamb's Pride Worsted, doubled - a blend of wool and mohair. Perfect for felting. It has been on my "To Knit" list for 5 years, but I've only had the yarn for 2 of them. :) I'm actually pretty excited to be diving into this one.
Hmm, well, goals... Like I said, I'm having trouble getting focused this year. I'll start jotting down some ideas and I'll get back to you on that one. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment