Sunday, July 08, 2007

Lace, Mystery, and Muskox

I managed to get a little knitting done this weekend and have almost reached the point where I can do the eyelet row on Josephine.I think there are just 5 repeats of the lace pattern before doing the eyelet row, but it is not quite long enough and I'd rather have a shirt on the long side than have it be too short. Therefore, I'm doing one more repeat before moving on. I almost had a panic attack this morning when I realized I was using Size 4 needles when I thought all along I was using 5's as the larger needle like the pattern calls for. I rummaged around in my basket and found that the other needle I bought for this project was a Size 3 - Phew! I must have done a gauge swatch and decided to go down a size. Sometimes, I'm amazed at what I cannot remember anymore. Motherhood totally messes with the brain.

Speaking of lace, I've been lured once more into vortex of a knit-a-long by the Yarn Harlot. On Thursday, she saw fit to share her experience of being "tricked" into joining MS3. No, this is not a code name for a video game, the next version of Windows, or a charity walk for a disease (although this is something that I could probably be coerced into as well...) No - MS3 is a group that "closed" its sign-up on Friday and is a group of over 6,000 knitters that will be knitting a Mystery Stole pattern that will be revealed in small sections over the next several weeks.

My first thoughts were, I really don't have time for this but who's gonna know whether I actually knit it or not? I just want to see how this works so I'll sign up just to see everyone's comments and progress... and to get the pattern if I like what I see. Then I got to thinking about that Leaf Lace project that I started during the Knitting Olympics, and how it was a shame that I lost my place and gave up before the torch went out. Plus I remembered that I still had a nice skein of merino wool laceweight in one of the recommended colors just sitting by its lonesome in my stash. Hmmm, then I read that the pattern is for a beaded stole - Yes, one of my favorite things is knitting with beads! Finally, it occured to me that I was going up to Bellingham this weekend and that I'd be able to swing by the Bead Bazaar and pick up some beads in the right size for my project and well... I'm hooked. I haven't yet worked up the nerve, but I'm hoping to cast on for this one today.

While we were up in B'ham, we visited with my sister Jackie who has returned with Sean from their short adventure in Alaska. (Long story, but they decided to come back and we're glad to have them here!) Jackie had bought a book for Phil about the Bear Man, a toy ferry boat and some coloring books for the boys, an eskimo doll for Evelyn, and (gasp!) 2oz of Muskox wool quiviut roving for me!!!!At first I was speechless. This is one of the rarest, finest, softest wools around - not to mention expensive! Wow, Jackie... Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Just last week, we were all oohing and aahing over Renee's one fabulous skein of laceweight quiviut for which she had made a special trip into Seattle to purchase... Now I shall be the envy of all my fiber friends. I'm going to have to get more experienced at spinning before I even contemplate feeding this to my wheel. Until then, I shall take the time to savor the glorious velvety softness in its current state - you know, fondling it... gliding it across my cheek. Yes, I realize I'm a freak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would be one of MANY, MANY freaks for fondling quiviut, in any form. I just finished a baby sweater in Louisa Harding Kashmir that I've threatened to wear on my head jsut to feel the softness on my face, and it' not nearly as soft as quiviut. Fondle on!

Laura A said...

Wow! I'm so happy your sister is back! You were so sad when she left. And quiviut! Lucky girl!

I'm so jealous you're knitting away on Josephine. Though I'm not shrinking enough to wear it yet, maybe if I (actually had the yarn yet) were knitting on it, I'd be pushed a little harder.

Still waiting on the yarn store.....