Thursday, July 05, 2007

It was Bound to Happen Sooner or Later...

I've never really considered myself a sock knitter. I just couldn't understand why someone would spend $15 to $25 on one or two skeins of yarn (albeit very luscious and very beautiful hand-painted yarn,) to knit up a fairly complicated pattern on tiny needles, only for it to cover the feet... where it probably would be hidden by shoes, perhaps get a little stinky, and ultimately get worn out. I've admired hand-knit socks when I saw them on other people, and I've heard so much about how the wearers absolutely love them, but I've resisted knitting them myself even though I have some rather nice sock yarn in my stash. The irony is not lost on me that although I spend quite a lot of my spare time knitting, my socks are all the cheap 6-pack JC Penney or Fred Meyer cotton socks that are all thread-bare in the toes and heels because they were bought ages ago (probably before I had children,) and that I'm contemplating moving them on to their next life as dust rags.
I was going to write the word "socks" on my grocery shopping list when I saw these at the Knitter's Dream Store. Hmmm... Clear clog-style shoes to show off your hand-knit socks. Some of my more style-savvy friends tease me because this is almost my entire shoe collection:

It has always been difficult to find shoes that fit my feet properly and since my last pregnancy, these are all I've been able to wear. I don't really mind either because they are super comfortable, and it has only been a minor problem when it was time to go out somewhere fancy and these squishy light-weight wonders weren't going to cut it. I'm sure if I had the time to go to a specialized store and was able to spend a ton of money, I could find some shoes that were both stylish and comfortable but in the meantime these will have to do. So imagine my delight when the clear clogs became the exciting new buzz around all the knitting blogs! I just had to have a pair. And now that I've ordered them I have a very strange, overwhelming desire to start knitting socks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Handknit socks last forever, one of my first pairs (3-4 years ago)made out of not great sock yarn, is just starting to grow holes.

Quick word on crocs, I love them, own them, even wear them sometimes. But when you wear them all the time the are supposedly really bad for for feet, they eventually get really wide and never fit into normal shoes again....Not trying to sound all "know it all" it's just a lecture I hear all the time...

Laura A said...

I have a hard time putting my handknit socks into some pairs of shoes that feel like they'd just rip them apart...

I'm still looking for the "right" style of shoe to wear/show my socks :-).

Hand knit socks are great! I can't wait 'til you finish a pair!