Monday, April 02, 2007

Easter Eggs & Bonnets

We dyed Easter eggs on Sunday afternoon.Nathan liked that the crayon "made the color not stick to that part," and Jamie just liked plopping the eggs in the dye and fishing them out again. By the time we were done his fingers were blue. :) Evelyn just peered out of the baby carrier at all the activity, fascinated.
I've been working on Evelyn's Easter bonnet... I feel lucky because my friend Angela had already knit the same bonnet for her daughter (who is not due until June,) and I was worried I wouldn't have time to knit one... so we are trading. She gave me the one she had almost finished, and I will make one for her daughter soon...
The pattern was from this book. I had ordered it, but it didn't arrive until today so I had been playing with the edging. At first I thought it needed an I-cord edging like the other bonnets I had made.
This was cute, but very plain and I remembered the bonnet being very striking when I had checked the book out at the library. I also remembered that it had huge satin bows on either side to add to the vintage look. When I finally got to look at the pattern, I realized that the edge of the bonnet just needed to be blocked and folded over. I then added ribbon (the rosettes are not as large as the ones in the book) and here it is drying at the top of the stairs...Sorry that photo is awful... There is no natural light at the moment. I'll try and get a better one (perhaps on the baby) soon.

Speaking of the baby, look who's sitting with support!

1 comment:

KnitMoka said...

Love the bonnet! She looks darling in it. Looks like you guys had fun dyeing eggs. Tell Phil that his looks great!