Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Too Busy to Blog

I've done quite a lot of knitting over the past week, so you'd think I'd be farther along than this on the Weasley Sweater...(Actually, that sleeve is completely finished now... I took that photo yesterday.) I realized last Thursday that I hadn't yet knit the samples for my classes next month, so that took priority. I'll be teaching a parent/child class and I decided to make up a new pattern for beginning knitters because I was getting bored with the project I used last year: a garter stitch coin purse. I also wanted something that would be more adaptable for boys and girls, so I designed a bookmark that when knit longer becomes a headband...I'll try and post the pattern soon. The idea is based on that mistake-rib scarf that I seem to have taken a liking to... I finished the 2nd one a few days ago:I love how it gives sharp definition to the alpaca without it losing any of its softness.

Another thing that has been keeping me crazy-busy this week is that I started a "Knitting for Peace" group at my church. The thing about small churches is that you can't attend more than a few weeks before they start asking you to join committees and sign up for volunteer work. Before I knew it, I was recruited for the Outreach Committee and was set the task of heading up Knitting for Peace. I've already chosen two projects to get us started this year - one local (hats, gloves, and scarves for our homeless - our church is also partnering with other local churches to start a food program for them) and one international (Afghans for Afghans.) Although our congregation is small, there are quite a few talented knitters and crocheters so I'm hoping to get them all involved. A few people gave money to buy yarn, two people were interested in learning (I gave a knitting lesson to one last night,) and the first meeting will be at my house next week! I am very excited about this new endeavor, but it has taken some time away from my family knitting projects. I whipped up an easy ribbed hat to go to Afghans for Afghans, and managed only to finished the scarf above and that one sleeve. Oh, and this...I'm going to try and make five for the Red Sweaters Project. This is a continually growing art installation that represents American lives lost during the war in Iraq. I had leftover Red Heart from making Nathan's Halloween wig which is what the pattern called for. Thankfully, I don't know anyone personally who has died over there... but this makes it too easy for me to just turn away and shield my eyes from it all. Knitting these tiny sweaters will help to remind me of the cost of war, and to pray for the families who are suffering due to the loss of their loved ones.

2 comments:

KnitMoka said...

Your Weasley Sweater is coming along great. Now all you'll have to do is to get Nathan to let you draw a lightning bolt on his forehead when he wears it! He's gonna be so cute in it.

Glad to hear that your knitting for peace group is coming together. Let me know when you guys get together!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the committee thing at church. I'm on 2 committees now and am joining a third. Thankfully they all meet only once a month. :-) It's fun, though, and gets you involved and helps you meet new people.

Good going on the sweater and the knitting group! I always love to see your projects. :-)