Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Anouk

Ok, so am I the only dork who thought this pattern was for a dress? It says "pinafore", but I used to wear pinafores as a school uniform and they had closed skirts... So when I looked ahead in the pattern (always a good thing to do) and saw that there was no seaming involved along the sides, I freaked. What?!!!! No wonder it wasn't knit in the round!
Fortunately, someone else (ChrisKnits) had the same epiphany and actually wrote out directions to make the 3M size into a dress - and it's knit in the round too. All I can say is what would we knitters do without the internet?! I ripped and started over... and this is how far I got last night. It makes me feel so much better to know that my baby's sides aren't going to be exposed - especially since this should fit her during the winter! (Of course, she will probably be wearing a long sleeved onesie and tights as well...) I was also glad to find online that I wasn't the only one having trouble with gauge. I'm using the exact yarn the pattern calls for, yet I would have had to go up two needle sizes to almost get 18 sts for 4 inches which was already making the stitches way too loose and open. I ended up just using the size 7's instead of 6's and I'm going to hope for the best that it works out. So far, the dress looks plenty wide for a 3 month old (maybe even a 6 month baby,) but I haven't done many decreases yet, so we'll see.
Things are coming together in the baby's room. I realized there was no closet in the "retreat" so we bought a little wardrobe to put the clothes in... You can sort of see in the corner there that half the room is painted lavender and the other half is pink. :) Phil loves assembling things, so he had this put together that evening and I was able to start filling it right away. Last night I had him raise the crib mattress so that's ready for new sheets whenever we get some girly ones. My mum's throwing me a baby shower this weekend, so hopefully we'll feel even more prepared next week!

No comments: