Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My New Yarn Space

My yarn/craft room has been moved and re-organized.

Gotta love those shelves from Ikea - I can't believe I fit all my yarn and all my fiber in there, and had room for some books and some scrapbooking supplies. To the right of the picture, you can see a bit of my small sewing table which actually got used yesterday. This room has a lot more natural light than the other room I was using for this purpose, which means I'll be more likely to use my stuff up here instead of hauling it all downstairs to my dining room table so I can see what I'm doing. The other half of the room is dominated by the guest/day bed which I might add more cushions to in order to make it more like a comfy couch when not in use as a bed. In the closet I have four plastic drawers to hold my quilting supplies, and my spinning wheel was next to me as I was taking the photo from the doorway. Everything seems to have a place which gives me a very satisfied feeling - Yay! (Now if only I can keep myself from acquiring more yarn before I can make more space for it! I'm working on it...)

I ended up ripping the shrug. I didn't like how it was shaping up and besides, I'm thinking shrugs are on their way out if you know what I mean. Instead I'm knitting Clapotis , that popular wrap from Knitty. I'm not sure how the unraveling part is going to work with the recycled silk, but so far it's knitting up quite nicely... and I'm getting to use all those pretty stitch markers that were made for me by Laura.


Sort of looks like a bikini bottom at this point, doesn't it? I like that it started with a point because the edges don't look as raw as they did on the shrug. I took that picture last night so the lighting isn't that great. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow after I've started the "straight knitting" section.

The boys' room is coming along nicely as well. I still need to hang some pictures and get Phil to mount some shelves.

4 comments:

Monique said...

I've been thinking of knitting the Clapotis lately. I like the yarn space. Looks like a yarn shop!

Molly said...

Your room looks lovely dear. Hope the boys are enjoying having a new room. I always loved changing rooms when I was a kid. It felt so exciting. (It still does to some degree.)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to ask what is probably a dense question, but are you knitting up the Clapotis in the recycled silk. I have a ton of the stuff and can't think of what to make. I stay tuned?

Unknown said...

Yes, I'm attempting it. I think it will be a bit heavier than what it's supposed to be, but I like the pattern better than the ratty-looking bag patterns I keep finding.