Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Alright, I Admit It...

I've been stalling. Wouldn't you if you were faced with this?

Actually this cable chart is supposed to make things easier. The charts in the pattern do not have the cables lined up row-by-row next to each other - you are just supposed to remember where you are since the repeats for each cable is different. This chart was helpfully designed by my friend Laura's husband, and she kindly passed it on to me. However, this is only the 2nd time I've read a cable chart of this magnitude and it really is amazing what you can accomplish while trying to avoid a work-in-progress. I've already finished one baby bonnet and started another for two mommies in my MOPs group...
Isn't that adorable? I love it! This was the first time I had worked with Rowan Kid Classic and although it is very soft and the mohair in it give it a pretty halo effect, I'm rethinking the hoodie I was going to knit with it because it makes me itch. I know you're probably thinking why would I make a baby hat with something itchy, but the truth is I'm the only one I know who has this problem. All of the knitting friends I've talked to love working with mohair and think it just feels super soft. I think it may be a skin sensitivity I have, although I'm sure there must be others out there who feel the same way.

I also finished my Quilt Square of the Month (this is a club at Ben Franklin...)

...which isn't due for another couple of weeks. Heh, heh. See? I told you I've been avoiding the VCC... Now if you're quilter, go easy on me. I think this was a very complicated square to start the year with, and I am a beginner. I realize that not all of my lines line up and well, I don't care. It is a square (not a rectangle or odd-shaped piece of fabric) so I'm pretty happy with it.

Last Saturday was the monthly Late Night Yarn Yoga and Sew-In, so that's when I started the second bonnet and cut the pieces for the quilt square. I also managed to start a new project - a Criss-Cross Shrug in Homespun that was in my yarn stash already. I won't be doing that silly arm fringe though because it's well, silly. All this before I really got down to work on the VCC. I know, it's lame, but here's what I have done so far...

It's actually not too difficult. My eyes just start getting a bit buggy after several rows of staring at the chart. Now that I've started, hopefully things should be moving along a little quicker .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yarn yoga and sewing? tell me more - it sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

Our local Ben Franklin craft store has a late night (4pm to Midnight) where knitters and quilters get together, eat potluck food, and get lots of work done. It's so much fun and although we end up spending money downstairs the event itself is free!