A few years ago I remember listening to my dad talk about how his mom used to usher the kids (6 of them) into their play area and go get herself all dolled up before her husband got home. I also remember thinking "Well, I'm never going to do that... The things women used to do to be the perfect housewife! Honestly, who has the time?" Well, this was before I had kids and I really had no idea how little time I would have to myself. But lately, I've been thinking this isn't such a repulsive idea. I admit when I know I'm going to stay home all day I pick something comfy (usually sweatpants and a t-shirt) since I know I'll most likely be on my knees wiping up ketchup or milk from the kitchen floor or doing laundry at some point. And who cares if there's a little crusty stain on it if it's going to get dirtier anyway? And truly, in the town I live in, I could probably get away with wearing my pajamas to the grocery store. So... by the time my husband gets home, not only am I tired and grouchy from the persistent demands of my little ones, but I look like a wreck. My hair is flat and messy (maybe not even washed,) there is no cover-up on my zits, I probably have bags under my eyes (no, I'm not too young for that anymore,) my lips are certainly not plump and alluring, my legs are definitely not shaved, and my clothes are grubby. Now, if I know I'm going out that evening (with the girlfriends, mind you) then it's a different story. I probably will have already taken a shower and changed my clothes, hoping I don't spill any dinner on myself before it's time to go. Then after dinner, I go upstairs (leaving my darling husband to clean up the dishes and the kids) to put on my make-up and fix my hair into something presentable... After all, I don't want my girlfriends thinking I've let it all go, do I? So, that gets me wondering... Does my husband think that? Or, is he the perfect, understanding man I think he is and is always attracted to me no matter what I look like? Probably a combination of both. I know he loves me and understands
some of what my stay-at-home-mommy job entails. He probably doesn't even mind cleaning up those dirty dishes considering that I do all the family laundry... But, I'm willing to bet he wishes that when I'm dressing up to go out with friends... that I'd do that for him sometimes too.

I'd like to propose an experiment... Any of you who'd like to join me, feel free. For the next couple of weeks I plan to make an effort to look nice for my husband... especially remembering to do so on those evenings I won't be leaving him home with the kids (so it's obvious I did it just for him and not because I'm going out.) Will he say something? Bring me flowers? Seduce me? Will he wear something he knows I like? Or, will he not even notice the difference? Will I feel any better about myself or will it not be worth the trouble? That's what I plan to find out. Anyone else going to try it?
Oh, and if Phil happens to be reading this... I love you, Dear!
5 comments:
I haven't figured out how to shower without Keva at home to hold the babe so I don't think I will be participating... As Kale ages I might have more of a chance.
Oh Molly, brand new mommies are completely exempt. Besides, no one's paying attention to you now that there's a newborn around! (Except of course, your husband, who thinks you are so amazing at the moment...)
Well, I wasn't thinking dresses and sparkles, but why not? :)I think I'll just brush my hair and put on a little make-up for a change - maybe even change out of the sweats!
Hmmm, would this be at all inspired by the fact that you're baby hungry? Heehee.
What a thing to say!
No, really, I think it's a good idea, however, it is so discouraging to make an effort and have it go unnoticed. Good luck!
Being sick as I am, I'm looking way worse than normal, and Nate is frequently telling me how nice I look. I don't know if he's truly a saint, or if he's practicing some reverse psychology on me!
What? Who, me? My motives are completely innocent... really!
Post a Comment