Since becoming a mother and a knitter, I've rediscovered the library. I try to take the kids there once a week - they do have a story time, but I never seem to make it to that. It doesn't matter. Our local one is awesome... they have little couches for the kids to sit and read and computers all set up with headphones and phonics games ready to go. There's even a little table with puzzles and blocks to play with. Nathan just loves to pick out books to "read" right there while I peruse the shelves for ones to take home. We have lots of fun reading together while trying to keep Jamie quiet with teething biscuits, then Nathan gets to pick out a video from their large children's collection. After that, we go to the aisle where the "mommy books" are (think knitting, felting, gardening, home-improvement sections...) and Nathan spreads the books that I picked out earlier on the floor to take a peek at the pictures before check-out. He really enjoys showing Daddy all the new books we brought home that day. I think it's great! Not only am I encouraging literacy in my children but I often find wonderful books for myself as well. Last week I checked some out on beading and learned the peyote stitch and brick stitch - something I'd always wanted to do but never had time (or money) to take a class. This week I checked out a video on spinning yarn (no Laura, I'm not gonna get a wheel... I just want to know what you're talking about when you say things like "plying" and "roving" and whatever...) and also a book on making hats out of fleece. About 3 years ago, Jo-Ann's had a crazy sale on fleece and I got it in my head that I was going to make a bunch of stuff out of it, so I bought all these colors and well... all those cuts of fleece fabric have been sitting in a closet ever since! Hopefully this book will give me some ideas. Anyway, if you haven't been to the library in awhile... try it. I'm sure you'll find something you'll want to check out and the best part about it is that it's free!


No comments:
Post a Comment