Thursday, September 29, 2005

Lace Ups

This post is a transfer from my previous blog...

I bought these vehicle-themed lacing toys for Nathan a little after he turned two. I found them at great store called Toys That Teach which was located right next to my LYS. I love this store because they sell all kinds of fun toys that serve the dual purpose of developing important skills. Some parents really "drop the ball" when it comes to helping their kids learn basic skills - When I taught Kindergarten last year I was quite taken aback at how many of my students had never held a crayon or a pair of scissors before entering school. Parents are essential partners in a child's education. (Yes, here I am on my soapbox!) Even when a child is attending school, they spend a majority of their time at home or elsewhere. And guess what? They are learning something that entire time - whether it be finding out acceptable ways to interact with others, appropriate values and good manners, or (unfortunately) whatever's on TV that day. Since I am a teacher, I am especially determined to make the best of those years before my kids enter school... and you bet I'll make sure their reading and homework gets done every evening when they do! When I first bought these lace-ups, Nathan wasn't really interested in them at all. Being a reasonably patient person, I've found that good things tend to happen if you wait long enough... Since our move he has rediscovered them, and last night he brought them downstairs and sat next to me while I was knitting. I just had to take some pictures of his "work". He was having just as much fun pulling those laces out as he was threading them through the holes!

No comments: