Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Quiet, Reflective Day at Home

I'm selling my Ashford Traveller to a good friend who participates in the Knitting for Peace group. Letting go of this wheel is sort of like saying goodbye to an old friend...
It has been with me since I learned to spin about 7 years ago. I had intended to hold onto it in case I started teaching again, but then I saw the presentation by Curt Fricke at Valley Spinners and the thought popped into my head that his wheel might be something I'd like to upgrade to someday - the range on it is amazing. As things tend to happen, once I put the thought out there, word got out and someone happened to be selling one for an incredible can't-turn-it-down offer and I bought it. So, here I am with three wheels again and one has to go. I'm so glad the Ashford will be used by a friend and that she will be learning to spin! I also have a warm-fuzzy feeling knowing that the two wheels I'm keeping were both made right here in the Pacific NW.
The kids are well into second semester now... We had a bit of a hiccup with the snow days and some of the teachers getting sick, but the boys are especially enjoying their elective classes and Evelyn is starting to get serious with her Montessori work. I'm still not sure whether we will move her up to first grade next year. We tested her into Kindergarten this year since it would make no difference in her placement but would make a difference in how much we were spending each month. Alice will be starting preschool next year and it might be nice to have them both in the same class... but I don't want to hold E back if she's ready to move up. Educational decisions are among the most agonizing ones parents have to make! I'm thankful we have a few more months to think about it...
Today is kind of a lazy day -  pretty rare around here and we are taking time to enjoy it. In a few minutes I'm hoping to recruit a couple of kids to help me throw some ingredients in the crockpot. Then we can spend the rest of the day with our books, crafts, and crossword puzzles. :)

No comments: