Earlier this summer I joined a group of gleaners, and this has opened to door to large quantities of over-ripe fruit. Gleaners are food rescuers... They do a service for the community by reducing waste and in exchange can take a share of the gleaned items. We develop relationships with businesses who regularly throw away food and other goods, and rescue them before they go in the trash or in the compost bins. I signed up because our local group makes a trip out to PCC - a Seattle-based organic food co-op. It wouldn't be practical or economical for me to drive to this store otherwise. It is too far away from home and their prices are higher than I am able or willing to pay for produce. By becoming a gleaner, I put in about 8-12 hours of volunteer work a month... and receive a decent amount of organic produce in return. Granted, most of the fruit or veg is on the verge of going bad. It needs to be eaten or prepared quickly and efficiently so it doesn't go to waste. Other gleaned items that are available to our group include day-old bread (Panera), clothing, books, gluten-free bakery items, and pizza. The PCC run requres a whole afternoon and some heavy lifting, but overall I find it to be a very good gig. And every once in awhile there is an abundance of something like mushy apricots and I'm staying up until 3am making jam. In my last run there were many over-ripe tomatoes.
A few things I learned while canning tomatoes... 1. Quart-size jars are a bit cumbersome to handle when they are full. 2. Ripe, peeled tomatoes are slimy and slippery! 3. It takes a long time to process tomatoes. This isn't the sort of activity that can wait until after the kids go to bed. Thank goodness I started these that afternoon otherwise I would have been up all night.


No comments:
Post a Comment