Today we had a taste of the big rainstorm all the staff at the hotel keep talking about - There is supposed to be heavy rain on Saturday. The wind moved in and we had a few refreshing cool rain showers. Most of the day it was sunny and breezy, which made it good for walking. Many people here carry two kinds of umbrellas: One for sun and one for rain. The rainy umbrellas are just like the ones we carry at home, but the sunshine umbrellas are something else entirely. They are one of the first things I noticed in China because they are beautiful - a sort of modern day parasol with gorgeous flower, foliage, bird, or butterfly lace designs around the edge, but no over-the-top tassels or fringe, and no longer with the more traditional old-style bamboo frame... it makes so much sense to use them! I think if people had them in WA they wouldn't complain so much about the hot weather when it arrives. I could just see myself walking down to Fred Meyer with my sunshine umbrella, or sitting at the park for 10-15 minutes and not having to rub myself down with greasy sunscreen (getting burnt on the spots I missed.) Very practical! So, of course I bought one... Hopefully I can start a new PNW trend. :)
Today we saw more of our little joyful Alice than the scared, unhappy one. We got to hear her adorable giggle (yes, out loud!) She reached further for things she wanted, even to the point where she raised herself up on her tiny legs. We had a cyber-friend (those adoption listservs are great) who had adopted a little boy and was staying at the White Swan Hotel - the playroom there is awesome! We could tell Alice was very comfortable in that kind of environment - she wanted immediately out of her stroller and interacted pretty well with the other kids. Before that we had a very stressful "naptime" so we were relieved to see her having a good time and scooting around a bit on her bottom. We haven't really heard her say anything except "ba" or "baba" which seems to mean "person" but we're not sure. I couldn't get her to wear the new hat I bought her (I wonder if she hasn't forgotten about the one I sent to the laundromat,) but today I brought out the sunglasses I had found at Grow with Me Boutique before we left and she could almost put them on by herself. She'll try a couple of times and then hold them out for us to put them on for her. All the locals smile at our little movie star - she waved at some people today which was also a new thing for us to see. She has quite a throwing arm - while we were walking at the park, we got a bit too close to the water and she hurled both her new toy and snack container into the canal before we could move her in the other direction - what a cheeky monkey! We also found out she really likes peanut butter, so we bought a jar of Jiffy at one of the deli shops and fed it to her by the itty bitty spoonful. At bathtime I let her sit in the tub for a few minutes after I washed her and gave her a few toys. After a minute or two of whimpering, she started splashing around and then didn't want to get out for another half hour! I'm glad she is getting used to an evening bath - I think it will help to tire her out and give us something to do together after dinner and before bedtime. Tired now, going to bed. Love to you all. We're doing alright, but we do miss home.



