Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Outlander DIA Swap

When I went out to the mailbox today I was excited to find a swap package! 
Book-based Ravelry swaps are a lot of fun and this one was especially so. We were encouraged to get to know our swap spoiler and spoilee via email for a few months before putting together their "sporran". The swap was based on the 2nd book of the Outlander series: Dragonfly in Amber. There were trivia challenges on the different sections of the book and swap participants were divided into four Scottish clans. My swap name was Ceili MacKenzie. I spoiled a lass from Clan Murray (Mab) and was spoiled by Mildred Cameron of Clan Fraser. (Silly, I know... but we could all do with a little silliness at times, ye ken?) My goodies were wrapped in some beautiful Ashland Bay Colonial Top (wool):
Mildred (Shelley in real life) had knit and needle-felted a tool bag for my spinning wheel, adorned with a dragonfly!
Included were some interesting flavored chocolates: Cumin, Cardamom, Ginger, and Anise. These were gone very quickly - yum! I also received some wonderful roasted coffee beans and Central Market lavender soap which I hope to enjoy later. Mmm-hmm. And in the picture below you can see there was a lovely spinning orifice hook in the shape of an treble clef. 
Here's a closer look at the fiber... I weighed it and found there were 6 ounces, divided into three 2 oz lengths, perfect for a 3-ply. I braided it up and took more pictures.  So pretty!
Tapadh leat (thank ye,) Mildred - I look forward to spinning this up. :)
Oh, and look Mum, I'm gardening!

3 comments:

BellaBabe said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I actually am the one that split that fiber up into thirds, I thought it would make the loveliest tweedy three ply. But it never got spun and once I got in the swap it called to go to you!

Enjoy, and I would love to see what comes of it.

Mildred

Pamelamama said...

orifice. heh heh heh

Unknown said...

Pamela! I know, I know, I'm the one who said it...