Thursday, September 04, 2008

Two Blue Ribbons!

Well the Evergreen State Fair is over. We took the boys last Saturday but we were apparently having too much fun to get pictures! They loved the rides and poor Jamie couldn't go on a lot of them because he wasn't yet tall enough. I spent one day demonstrating in the Handspinning Department and one day picking wool and weaving for the Sheep to Shawl which took place in the Sheep Barn. And, I managed to walk away with these:
The one on the right is my Tilted Blocks Scarf knit with my own handspun yarn. And those are my slippers! Can I wear them now? I also got a 2nd place ribbon for my 3-ply sock yarn so I'm pretty pleased with myself at the moment. :) There's nothing quite like a blue ribbon and some glowing praise of your work to make you feel kinda special. Not that I'm letting it go to my head though... there's still other work to do around here!

Aside from preparing the kids for school, I've been quite industrious since I received a couple of 24lb boxes of fruit last week... Making peach jam, cooking apples for apple butter, and drying fruit for school lunches. I'm thankful that it's all cut up and almost everything has been either stored or canned. Nathan started 1st Grade yesterday - He was so excited! I'm so glad he likes his teacher and was already talking to her on the first day... Those of you who know about the troubles we had last year with his anxiety issues, know how much a relief this is to all of us here at the Kent household. I am so grateful for a good start to the year. Jamie begins preschool this week with a new teacher so we'll see how that goes.

I feel like I haven't been knitting much because I've been so involved with the spinning, cooking, and adoption stuff. I did finish "My So Called Scarf":This is not for me and will probably be sold to help raise some funds for the adoption... Right now we're working on our home study. Wow - there is A LOT of paperwork to do and A LOT of hoops to jump through! One step at a time, one thing at a time...

I'm also about halfway done with MS3:The fire's been lit under my needles on this one - there's an auction at Jamie's school in November and I want to donate this to it. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the straights though - I tried switching it over to my Harmony Options, but found out that one of my Size 4's was defective so now I have to wait until my new one arrives before I can stop bumping into things while I knit or stop getting my yarn tangled around the end of my working needle. Grrr... I think they should arrive today. I'm thinking the circulars will help move things along a bit faster - I'm cruising through the chart now which must mean I'm getting more confident with my lace knitting. Yay!

7 comments:

Tuulia said...

Oh the slippers are so cute! And I love the So-Called Scarf, it's really pretty! Congrats on the ribbons, you really deserved them!

Eileen said...

I *love* the slippers (no wonder at all that they got a ribbon), and admire the lace very much - you are doing great! I hope the scarf brings in the funds - it should, it's very pretty and will adorn somebody's neck beautifully.
:)

Laura A said...

Wow, congratulations! I want to enter something in the fair!

You are extremely generous with your knits. I give a lot away, but to people I know and love. Donating to auctions, and when you've had such difficulty with lace... that's amazing to me.

I'm glad you're getting the hang of lace. It's so fun to knit, and yours looks beautiful.

I want to hear more about the sheep to shawl. Details?

Julie said...

congratulations, how wonderful. I looked at the exhibits and wondered if there was anyone there whose blogs I read (or on Ravelry). I wished I had got it together to enter something. I really wanted to but didn't get anything finished in time. Maybe next year!

April said...

Congrats! You certainly deserved those blue ribbons!

Charisa said...

WOW! You didn't even mention your glory at knit/spin group! You are amazing!

Kerri Butler said...

OMG! Congrats - such beautiful work!!!