Thursday, June 26, 2008

Our New Journey

Knit, spin, blog, right? It has been a busy few weeks, mostly due to all the new babies that should be arriving in the near future... I went to my cousin Rebecca's baby shower during the first weekend in June. We had a long drive to Portland during which I finished up this little kimono from Mason Dixon Knitting:My mum, and Evelyn and I stayed at my Aunt Nancy's house the night before the shower. While I was here, I cast on for a matching hat and managed to finish it an hour before it was time to go.

Since we've been home, I've been working on a few other baby items, but I can't show them all yet. This one is for my neighbor who is having a shower this weekend...

It's another adorable pattern from Itty Bitty Hats, "Painted Turtle" but I modified the top because I thought it needed something to give it a little spunk.

I've also been spinning. I spun some more 3-ply sock yarn from the orange BFL and nylon I got from Judith MacKenzie:

It makes me think of orange sherbet... Mmmm. There isn't enough for socks (only 84 yds) but I'm sure I'll find something to do with it. I really like the look of 3-ply, but it takes a longer time to spin. Nevertheless, I'm doing it again... this time with the dyed merino fiber I bought from Kristin!

Isn't that pretty? I just love blues and greens.

Well, I know I've been boring many of you for years about our future plans to adopt, but Phil and I are excited to announce it is actually happening! We sent in our pre-application, got our first packet from All God's Children International and have started filling our our official application. We chose this agency because I received several recommendations from friends who have adopted children, and it's relatively close to us (Portland) with an office in Bellingham.


I'm not usually one to ask for prayer, but this (possibly 4-year) process is going to take a lot of faith, patience, and humility on our part... especially as our house and family are put under the microscope so to speak. Any positive thoughts, hopes and wishes you can share will be sincerely appreciated as we undergo our home study and wait (and wait) for the newest member of our family. I'd also love any words of wisdom from parents who have adopted internationally. My own prayer is that our words on paper and in our interviews will adequately express the true nature of our hearts. I feel as though God has planted a seed there, and I yearn to watch it grow. This is only the first step of what I'm sure will be an emotionally arduous journey, but something tells me it will be worth it.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Those baby items are just adorable. I wish you lots of good wishes for your adoption process. Every child needs to feel loved, and I am sure you will be wonderful too.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for both you and Phil throughout your adoption process.

Love,
Larry (Papa)

Leah said...

Katie,

Our church has a group called the adoption connection. It is a bunch of couples who have adopted internationally and ones who are trying to adopt. It might be nice to meet with them sometime you are up in Bellingham. Best of Luck!

We'll be praying for you!