Well, here's the thing. My hand carders have been the garage for over a year. I've been buying most of my fiber pre-processed, and the rest I prepared using the drum carder I rented from the guild. So I haven't really needed to use them. When I first got the carders, I asked Phil to lacquer them for me since I have an aversion to unfinished wood. (I don't really know what to say about that other than it gives me the heebie-jeebies. I just can't touch it. Bleh!) Well, he sprayed them with something that didn't leave enough of a coat, so then months later we remembered to buy some proper lacquer while we were at the store (things don't get done in a hurry around here,) and finally a few months after that the lacquer was applied, but still the handles have not been screwed on. I really should just go out there and do it myself. But there's something satisfying about knowing your man did something just for you - even if it took him a freakin' year and a half to do it. I'm hopeful that I'll have finished hand carders shortly after he reads this post. Love you, Dear. :)
Anyway, onto my other lucky windfall. There is a very nice man named Hans at my church who invited us out to his farm to see the lamb (the poor guy only had one this year,) the rams and ewes, and the llamas. The farm was beautiful - it had a lovely garden and pastures. The boys were a little scared of the dogs, but they were fascinated by the chickens and Hans let us take some of the fresh eggs home. He also let me pick a few fleeces. He just gave them to me, three huge boxes of wool. I really didn't know what to say other than "Wow - thank you!" Here's a pic of me and all that fiber...
I'm going to be spinning for awhile. Again, I had the problem of washing the fleece... but I'll save that story for another post because that was quite an adventure. In the meantime, I've got thank you cards to write and I found the cutest idea in that yarn shop up in Birch Bay. I just knew I had to make one myself...


3 comments:
Thanks for my fleece. I'm looking forward to getting to spin it. Not so looking forward to cleaning it. Hopefully, I'll have a better time of it than you did.
Thanks again!!!
Wow! That's a ton of fiber! Lucky girl. And you've washed it already? I'm curious as to how it went.
I have 7lbs and thought that was alot! Is it all sheeps fleece? Is Gretchen going to wash it all for you? You look very happy...have fun!!
Keli
Post a Comment